Friday, June 11, 2010

This should take you back but if it doesn't please just reflect on the days when bell bottoms were in. Either decade is fine. Just do it.

So among other things that I have seen in the last 48 hours I just saw a "tan tattoo" on the mid-drift of a 16 year old girl. A heart shape. Remember the days of fake and baking with a heart shaped sticker on your hip bone. Well it's been years since I've done that. My little bro and I used to go together. Two middle eastern babies whose catch phrase used to be "we don't burn, we're middle eastern" and proceeded to NEVER wear sunscreen going to the tanning beds. Kurt under the guise of it was for some show or another. Me because we all know it makes your skin look better and also you look skinnier. No intervention needed we both hit rock bottom some years back. Me from a blister inducing sunburn (6 hours spring skiing Squaw with no sunscreen will get anyone) Kurt just gets blotchy these days. Well there I didn't mean to get off track. I also saw 16 year old legs with writing all over them. Signatures of friends. Messages that will go down the shower drain and be forgotten the way we forget a high-school crush or the tormenting days when getting asked to slow dance in Junior high (in the middle of the afternoon in the school cafeteria) was the most important thing in the world. School yearbooks and the moment of asking that soon to be forgotten crush if he would sign yours. Popular girls and the way we resented our parents but relied on them totally. Made their lives hell, snuck out of the house, missed curfew and got drunk on one and a half beers. These girls have it all before them but right now it's a tan tattoo and rereading crushes messages written in the yearbook. And I am going all high-school nostalgia on you which is so much worse than college nostalgia - don't you think so? - Anyway LK and I went stag to our Senior Prom. Why do I remember this particularly, because photos from this event just surfaced (along with the my highschool graduation photos that I had never seen till last week) We drove into the city together, vague remembrance of two Cal guys offering to take us on the way - LK do you remember this? - We danced and then stole our friends dates and took our photo, the two of us with 8 guys pretending to fawn over us. A better prom photo there is not. We joined the festivities back at the hotel with everyone else and in true high-school fashion everyone dropped like flies till it was LK and I drinking bud lights and smoking cigarettes on the hotel fire-escape, reflecting on the possibility that the world is bigger than we knew at the moment. At least I know we were hoping it was.

Anyway here I completely change the subject or I might literally write a book in which I go down memory lane. So twice in the last week I have been asked if I have a photography blog, this not because I was taking photos but because I was commenting on someone taking photos and it got me thinking, maybe my sidebar click could be it's own page. So I have done it. The link is at the top of the page and as soon and I figure out what is wrong with my photo formatting it will have some of my photos for your viewing pleasure or not. Also please note while laughing is encouraged while reading this blog my photos are not meant to induce laughter... usually. You know just in case. I take this stuff really seriously. Thanks. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment