Friday, March 12, 2010

This isn’t as bad as it sounds

Last night I sat outside in the alley next to the hostel, painting my toes and watching the trains rolls past on the tracks across the street. If the image is slum chic then that’s what I am going for but please dispel any actual ghetto visions of me from your mind. Since I am in a semi-permanent state right now and apparently didn’t give enough information about my job etc. I thought I might give a run down of the crazy situation I have found myself in as of late...filled of course with the details you don’t really need or care to here.

Yesterday after hitting the grocery store in what was a seriously satisfying food run I splurged on two things I haven’t had in 5 months. A foot pumice and a whole bottle of laundry detergent. These little luxuries have made my week – don’t be too alarmed my French Connection leggings I bought on sale also contributed – I also decided that I could take over most of the shelf behind my bunk bed, hung some clothes up and booked another week here. Don’t get me wrong I am still wearing my flip flops in the shower but basically I have moved in. Before you think how strange this is please know I am one of many that are staying here long term. You’ve heard about the kitchen, meal sharing and if it wasn’t apparent before I have an assortment of friendly, fun international roommates who I find to be inspiring, and easygoing people. Most haven't hit the quarter life crisis like me but they are mature in the ways of the world. Ok blah blah blah. But the important thing is I have the bottom bunk in the corner. I could have moved into an apartment and if I wanted to I still could short term but I am finding it to be an adventure here. And with it being in a great part of the city I can hardly justify adding to my commute which, at present is a 10 minute walk through Hyde park and the shopping district and in the other direction it’s 10 minutes to Surry Hills!!!

I am working onsite for a company just like BCCI, on a project just like my last one I was on, so other than being the copy rat there isn’t much new there. It is so disturbing when they are talking about something and it sounds like I could be at home talking to my old favorite super Chuck about I don’t know… slab scan and coring. But then again a lot is the same but some of the terminology could be a different language. And there is this… maybe I haven’t mentioned how much it drives me nuts how Australians shorten everything, or have I? Brekky, Brizzy, Mozzie, Prezzy ahhhhhh well they call subcontractors “subbies.” Like doesn’t that just make you want to grab a chubby little cheek and speak in baby talk voice. Well anyway the day I say that will be a cold day in hell but I guess for now I will have to tune it out.

2 comments:

  1. Why did you stop posting?!?!? I need it to get through my week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have to keep posting!!! your writing is too good! xoxo

    ReplyDelete