Thursday, March 4, 2010

Speaking of Big Macs...okay we weren't but I was thinking about them.


I just read an article in the Sydney Herald that McDonalds and Weight Watchers are teaming up. Can you even believe it took them this long. I mean it's so obvious. Get it? Mcdonalds and Weight Watchers. Right... So apparently there are 3 items on the McDonald's menu that weight watchers approves. I don't know what they are but the Big Mac isn't one of them. There are a world of questions I have about this partnership. Also I want to know who goes to McDonalds and orders a side salad with their grilled fish? I want to know who orders grilled fish at McDonalds? But mostly I want to know how much McDonalds paid Weight Watchers. All things I will probably never know. C'est la vie, I won't dwell on these absurdities.

So I felt a little guilty after I posted the shit talking about the backpacker food. Because as I was posting it my Italian friend Gabrielle was whipping up a gourmet dinner in the crappy hostel kitchen to share with his roommates. Prawns in a mint and orange glaze, risotto and sweet potato mash to share. It takes a rare person to commit to cooking such fare using the crowded kitchen with the stove that has a high heat setting and only high heat. And come to think of it there isn't anything larger than a cereal bowl in the place. So yes he deserves a gold star. But then this of all things, he made tiramisu and saved me a piece so when I came down from having a beer on the roof after dinner the above was waiting for me in the fridge. I nearly cried of happiness. Because how lucky am I to have a piece of hostelmade tiramasu saved for me by Gabrielle whose R's roll like music and also I hadn't had something to eat in all of 10 minutes so I was hungry too!!

I will at some point next week cook for these people, who it only took me 4.5 weeks of living with become friends with. I am slower at these things but better late than never and cooking for some is better than one. Chicken, rice, guacamole, burritos? What can I bring them that's homemade, delicious and reflects home for me. Because I would like to share a piece of home with those who are making this hostel my temporary home for now.

Taking suggestions! Off to shop for some work shoes - seriously I only have flip flops so stop judging...

1 comment:

  1. Don't lie, you also have your crocs! You better no have abandon them after LK and CS came to visit and I'm sure told you they were no bueno.
    What job did you get?! Your readers need to know these things!
    Burritos sounds good, or you could always go with your specialty-something lemony! :)
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete