Monday, March 8, 2010

Sunrise in Sydney...At least that's what I saw as I hit snooze for the third time this morning at 6am


As I walked to work this morning there was no first day of school bounce in my step, just the dread of returning to something of have long ago forgotten. The real world. That being the one in which we wake up each morning and do something with our lives...other than eat. At the risk of sounding totally negative I will tell you the following BEFORE I go on. First that I am grateful to have a job that fits so perfectly into my schedule for the next two months here. That the people I am working for are nice, friendly and haven't yet asked where I am living - who thinks I can get through 20 days of work without telling them I live in a hostel! - I have already made friends with the security guards in the building and there are oh so many cute guys in suits milling around my building. And I don't even have to wonder if they have an Australian accent cause they all do!

The road to work this morning was paved with blisters and bloodshot eyes. Whoever said flat shoes are better than heals lied. But I will press on. And for all of you who I judged for changing into your work shoes at work, you can be sure that will be me tomorrow albiet it is ridiculous that I would change from flip flops into flats; that should really be reserved for high heals. But they are what I have right now. When I am more comfortable in my workplace - as in two days from now - I will be sneaking into my sandals and jeans. But I am not there yet. My bloodshot eyes are a joint venture between the 4.5 hours of sleep I got last night and the non-stop allergies I have had here. The rash I had, from way back when, has manifested itself into sneezing, rashing and perpetually bloodshot eyes. To be sure the fog that surrounded me cleared this morning when I realized there was a Starbucks on my way to work - I walked through Hyde Park and hung a left when I saw the glorious green that took me home to San Francisco; early morning meetings and 4pm I'm staying late coffee breaks. I rolled into work with a Venti Americano with a straw in it. If that doesn't say "I am American and I don't want to be up at this ungodly hour" I don't know what does.

So I'll end this whining disguised as a post with this. Here is vindication for you all. In my 5 months off of work I have apparently reverted back to my Junior year internship capabilities. As in I am doing closeouts people. Let's just say I'll be spending some time standing in my blister inducing shoes in front of the copy machine. Luckily I am being paid to do this....so those shoes I fell in love with on the way home from work today may be mine oh mine in just one weeks time. They'll certainly warrant the furtive shoe change outside the building but god will they look good in front of that copy machine. Think of me tomorrow I'll be hitting snooze about the time you are getting ready for lunch.

*Remember when Molly Ringwald graced the proverbial pages of this blog almost weekly, well I think Melanie is the next Molly. At least for this week. I love a good blonde blank stare.

No comments:

Post a Comment