Saturday, February 6, 2010

Pyrmont, Persian Tea and My First Religious Experience...Ginger Brulee Tarts



Yesterday I discovered the most delicious Persian Restaurant in Pyrmont, home blended tea served in Istacons and lamb kebabs marinated in heaven - A fully family run business Miriam, the owners wife a built woman impeccably made up as most middle eastern woman usually are, told me to call her if I need a job. She tells me "I find you job, I find you apartment and I find you boyfriend, you call me honey." which made me feel both totally at home and a little pathetic. I wish I had the guts to call her and see what would have happened.

Pyrmont is a neighborhood full of cafes, bars and some pretty good shopping including one boutique located in a house, the dressing room was the bathroom and I am pretty sure someone was actually living there. But anyway they were hand-making the jewelry in the place and it was stunning, mainly statement necklaces. Excellent gifts, so get excited ladies. Also I found the cheapest happy hour in Sydney at BarTino (I met Tino a little cuban man who I am pretty sure was flirting with me) Prymont is great but it doesn't top Surry Hills in my book.

Surry Hills is a mix of overpriced home furnishing stores, overpriced clothing stores, overpriced stationary stores, regular priced cafes - ok true it is a little pretentious - and the most delicious bakery ever. Bourke Street Bakery where at anytime of the day there is a line out the door. They have thin crusted pizzas, gourmet panini's and without a doubt the most amazing creation a ginger brulee tart, half tart half creme brulee it comes with a ginger custard filling, or if you prefer a strawberry custard filling or vanilla. To die for I tell you. If it wasn't pouring rain here I would be trekking my fat ass out there right now. But it is raining, buckets and unlike the rain the Cairns it isn't a stifling hot rain which makes it, to my homesick mind, a little slice of heaven. A little slice of home.

Because there is nothing better than seeing a movie in the rain, except ginger brulee tarts at 3pm in the afternoon, I went to see Avatar in 3D last night. A masterpiece I can't decide who wouldn't like this movie. It has it all action, romance, fantasy and I might - for the first time in my life, other than the time I tried to get my Mom to take me to see Now and Then a second time - consider a second visit to the land of Pandora. But maybe in 2D because I still feel queasy from the 3D.

I am munching on carrots and hummus (an obvious effort to justify a ginger brulee tart later) at the hostel watching this little Indian Lady put together a flower arrangement. Nothing has ever looked so painfully tedious. She can't quite reach the top of the vase so each time she gets up on her tip toes to remove and reinstall a leaf in a new location (likely to only move it back again) I think the whole thing is just going get knocked over. Also she is creating another arrangement in the reception room but instead of making the arrangements and then putting one of the vases in reception she is working from both rooms, shuffling back and forth. Standing back to admire and judge, move a leaf or flower here to there. I have no doubt this is a creative nessecity that I simple don't understand.

Thinking of you, and the ginger brulee tart I will be having later - don't be jealous, you have access to good Mexican food. Go see Avatar if you haven't, it won't be the same on your TV at home. Just maybe not in 3D.


1 comment:

  1. Send a tart home to me! It sounds soooo delicious! xoxo

    ReplyDelete