Sunday, February 28, 2010

Mardi Gras, Osama Bin Laden and come to think of it I don't even think this is the first time OBL has made it into a post title


It's raining again in Sydney and I was going to write you a post about Big Macs and how I have on average had 3 per week for the last two weeks. But then I thought that might be a little bit embarrassing and also I didn't want to alarm you causing you, possibly, to stage an intervention. Because that would never work, I am too far gone.

So instead of Big Macs I write to you some of my more pleasant musings if not pleasant they are at least completely random. So it's raining here and the rain washed away the evidence of Mardi Gras that we celebrated in full form last night here in Sydney. Normally I am not big on crowds and parade watching but since my house - I mean hostel - was right in the thick of it and I didn't have to walk more than two blocks to see it I went and it was well worth it. Among the fake tans, buff bods, booty shorts, glitter and angel wings; a gay loving Osama Bin Laden made an appearance and the Village People were there too, and well there was a lot of other good stuff to feast your eyes on. I took a few photos none of which really turned out because I was using my point and shoot but I am sure the Asian woman behind me got some good ones with her telephoto lens and me as her tripod. She literally had her 18 inch long lens resting on my shoulder. It was really awkward as in I didn't want to be violent or confrontational, I also didn't want to intentionally ruin her photos but I did want to rip it out of her hands, tell her to get a press pass and then run away with it because I am pretty sure it was a wide angle lens and I want one of those. A result of the photography class I took a few weeks ago where I also discovered I could never be a serious photographer with my "entry level cannon rebel unless I outfit it with seven grand worth of lenses, filters a tripod and even then he says I will probably want to adjust some of the colors in Adobe. For this I will need to take his class and buy the program. Joking aside the class was good and I am venturing out with my telephoto lens a little more these days but it does limit me to taking far away shots, close ups of flowers and food. So if you thought I had become mildly obessed with either of these things now you know it's the lens not the flowers. And don't be alarmed I haven't even clicked a Big Mac yet.

So that's that and there's this too I have temporarily abandoned Open to read The Historian, I am trying to finish it before I leave for Perth because it is a big pain in the ass to carry around - oh kindle how I love thee! -. But also because I can't put it down. It's appropriate that I am reading this so soon after I read Dracula because it is a vampire story but I swear to you it is no Twilight so if you haven't read it yet please do so immediately I don't think you'll regret it but if you do then go read Eat Pray Love or something.

Hopefully I see you before I leave for Perth but in the meantime one more plug go and see Shutter Island. I was forced to go see it - you know me and scary - but anyway it was fantastic and whatever happened to Leo? The weight of age has really set in on his jaw line. He is no more the Leo we fell so in love with in Titanic is he?

*I hated the movie Titanic, was forced to go see it with an avid fan in Junior High and haven't seen it in it's entirety since. The only good thing about it was that song that we requested incessantly to be played on the radio. Oh and of course the photo op no one can resist when at the front of a boat.

2 comments:

  1. I loved The Historian. I stumbled upon it a few years ago, and couldn't put it down either. So addicting!

    Go eat a kangaroo burger, mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whats with all the annoying Indian people?!!? Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete