Sunday, February 14, 2010

Among Other Things Steve Martin The Man & Legend, Also Kurt Learns to Swordfight and I am Driven Out of the Hostel Lounge Area by A Small Indian Woman



I was just reading about Steve Jobs newest toy, the IPad, already being criticized for not having a USB port, and it got me thinking about my brother. As you know Kurt gave me (possibly the most thoughtful gift I have ever received) the Kindle which I believe lives up to the short lived hype it had pre Ipad release for several reasons but namely, for myself, because in Australia a book never costs less than $25 - even paperback - and I enjoy reading so while there is the convienence of not having to carry around a weighty book I also get to pay a third as much, For example Andre Agassi's book Open which is still in hardcover and costs like $40 here was $9.99 in Kindle edition. So there's that. And also some old books are free, like Dracula, Around the World in 80 Days and Pride and Prejudice which I have downloaded so that I can read it for the 100th time! While Kurt gave me the gift of the Kindle he has not managed the gift of email updates.

As in I have been here (whoa 5 months) and I haven’t received one since the first and last that he sent me on October 8th (3 days after I got here) So when I finally did get to talk to him for 30 minutes yesterday there was a lot to hear about. And every bit of it reminded me how much I admire him for so many reasons but mainly at this juncture in his life for his conviction and ability to carve his own path where he has not taken the typical path. School, internships, job out of college. He announced his first real opera role, as a swordfighter in San Francisco Opera’s Cryano De Bergerac to me about a month and a half ago. But actually while this in itself is awesome he learned last week that Plácido Domingo, one of the four tenors, will be playing Cyrano which means Kurt will truly be performing in the company of greatness even I can appreciate.

Click here to support Kurt and go to the Opera!

Cyrano is an accessible opera. And what I mean by that is, unlike the opera I went to last September where I pretty much fell asleep Cryano is sure to be more entertaining. Also I love a good underdog story and also Steve Martin played Cyrano in the movie Roxanne, which in my world is a pretty sure endorsement that the show should be good. In addition to reading the book I will also be watching Roxanne before I go to the opera as a pre-game warm-up. Kurt may want to kill me for that but I know my Dad will be up for the screening.

Speaking of Steve Martin going downhill what's with his new type cast as the quiet older man love interest? I am speaking of the less known Shopgirl (he wrote the book then played his own character) and also It's Complicated where he plays the quiet architect who is barely funny (the movie was good anyway). He gave us so much in his prime, Father of the Bride - hello the hot dog bun scene is by far one of the most epic comedy moments of all time - My Blue Heaven,Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Sargent Bilko and of course The Three Amigos. It will be hard to remember him as the genius he is if he keeps playing this awkward older man. Then again maybe he is trying, in his maturing age, to redefine his career. In which case I would say quit now. You're ruining it for all of us.

Well anyway there I go again.

The little Indian woman is back at the hostel doing more flower arrangements - such is the repetitive nature of life in a hostel - Anyway I better get out of here before her creative energy makes me start another rant.


1 comment:

  1. Ah! I had so much to catch up! I love your writing and stories!
    Cant wait to see you, bring home the cheese!

    ReplyDelete