Thursday, May 13, 2010

Irish Soda Bread, Coffee Shakes and My Left Shoulder is Sore from Hole Punching


The hole punching speaks to how important my job is. Sometimes I go for it and put over 10 sheets of paper in. Then it takes two hands to push down and if it had a longer fulcrum this really wouldn't be an issue. See physics, I took physics to get my degree. It's being put to use...obviously.

If I tweeted, which I don't because I don't really get it - My "tweet" would go something like this.

"Am leaving Australia in 3 days...Holy Shitcakes"

Today we had a farewell "Tea" for me. Also referred to as "smoko" here down under. The 10am breaktime. Martin had his wife make Irish Soda Bread AND Brown Bread, then tried to take credit for it. We had coffee. I ordered a Skinny Cap - my barista put a tablespoon of chocolate shavings in it. Something is wrong here no? Skinny milk extra chocolate shavings. Whatever, anyway 8 pieces of soda bread with delicious butter, two long blacks, one gazillion hole punches and 900 copies later I am red in the face and I can't figure out if it is the coffee or the manual labor. Either way it's something to be concerned about. I wish I was capable of leaving the poor suckers to deal with the stacks of paperwork I leave lying around my desk to make myself look busy - but sadly I am not - so I have been desperatly trying to finish this, that and the other so it looks like I did something in the 9 weeks I was here. Proving more difficult that it seems. I did get to go to the contract signing of the first project I ever priced start to finish all by myself. It was yesterday at the Architect's office...in the Rocks which is a gorgeous old area of downtown Sydney. The building I priced work on was the tallest in Sydney for like 70 years, at 12 stories tall which is how it should have stayed I think. Most of the work is being done off of ropes - here's a new one for you "Abseiling" which is basically repelling - I almost stuck around just so I could go off ropes with them but what can I say Casa Gourmet's burrito pull is stronger than even I would have thought.

This weekend will be spent in farewell celebrations, which will be more fun than tearful. But you know me, crying is not really my thing (except that time my mom left Sydney and she cried and I didn't...until she walked through the portal and I was walking back to my car and then suddenly the tears poured out of me, I don't know why it was an unusual occurence reserved mainly for Corina Corina, Pretty in Pink and okay yesterday I was snorting snot back into my nose at the show "Calendar Girls" but some of that had to do with the cold weather...)

Milan is cooking dinner for 15 out of the hostel kitchen. Miracle. He is rolling spring rolls over a movie as we speak. Not to change the subject but I just found out the what I thought was the cute apartment building across MY alley way from the hostel is actually a brothel. Yes brothels are legal in Sydney. So there's this...that and the other. This news, bestowed upon me 2 days ago has disrupted my world a little. As in all that time I spent painting my toes out there really could have been way more entertaining...you know what with people profiling and judging. I'll be giving myself a pedicure tomorrow even though it's effing freezing outside. So Happy Friday anyway.

*Last day at the office pictured above. I was busy...you can see this.

No comments:

Post a Comment