Friday, December 24, 2010

Festival Opera Pop's Up in the Ferry Building

Here and gone and back again. Something about hearing Steely Dan's "Hey Nineteen" on the radio yesterday, the chill in the air and the sun shining on the clean rain clouds that were slowly retreating to rain on someone else's day made me want to write to you. Don't ask me. Steely Dan doesn't usually illicit such a response. But that's the power of music yo.

After the warm and rainy Queensland Christmas I had last year (I was in fact driving a tractor on a banana farm December 23, 2009) it's particularly festive to have a real Christmas Tree and imagine santa in something other than board-shorts. They don't really suit him.

In the works since I left for Australia last fall has been a certain surprise opera at the Ferry Building. An effort that my brothers Opera teacher came up with, as inspired by this -Opera en el Mercado - to raise money and excitement for Walnut Creek's Festival Opera which, as many of the arts are, is suffering. My favorite part by far is people's expressions as they take in the music and surprise of the moment. It's a short three minute song but I imagine the smiles people had from it lasted the whole day, hopefully longer. He caught some of the reactions that give me chills. Particularly the guy filming with his Iphone. I love this guy and hope he shared his video with someone who missed it and I hope you will too!



Warmth, and well wishes await you and if you're naughty a platter of cheese does too.
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment