Tuesday, July 20, 2010

13.1 Miles, Live it, Love it then take a cold bath in ice and get back on the horse!

Way back when, 2 years ago or so, some random weekend when I was probably residual drunk from the night before and KM was staying over for the weekend at my old apartment on the Embarcadero (living with Caro and Rusty the evil flesh tearing purse puppy…may he rest in peace. Actually I don’t know if he died yet but there are a few people with enough physical and emotional scars to hope he is. But that’s for another day) Kate was all do you want to do the Nike Women’s half marathon with me… she said “it’s supposed to be good and at the end they give you a TIFFANY NECKLACE.” – sold - . And I was like sure without even stopping to remind myself that while I had run a mile here and a mile there on the treadmill, road running 13 miles is really another ball game. So she entered us into the raffle which I pretended to be excited about meanwhile the whole time I was praying to sweet baby Jesus that we wouldn’t make it and then of course we made it. So we started training long distance together. We had a motivational excel spreadsheet with the miles we ran through the week and a pump song to go with it and every Friday Kate would drive down from Sacramento for the weekend and we would do a run together on the Embarcadero. One time we went for a really long run in Golden Gate Park (9 miles maybe?) and then within 45 minutes of finishing went to go drinking on a sailboat on the bay for the day. I would council against this – long runs make you a lightweight and also a little bit nauseous – Anyway those runs on the Embarcadero are some of my favorite memories. The happy hour crowds we would pass longingly at the ferry building and Americano, the water on our right the city scape on our left. When we moved into Casa Hot Mess in Nob Hill we trained at the Lyron street steps which is probably the most stunning place to inflict physical pain upon yourself. I miss them and the opportunity we had to catch up on our week while walking that mofo of a hill on Pacific. But enough of the nostalgia. Kate has apparently recovered from it and is doing it again with CS, LM and LG and I am pretty sure they've stepped up the training for this one.

I can't be there to cheer them on even though they try every time I see them to sell it as a great way to celebrate my Birthday. The truth is I have been on the road for over two weeks now and I have laundry to do for days, plus I miss Tahoe a little bit. Can you imagine! Anyway doesn't mean I won't be cheering you on from up North ladies! In fact I might even do a short run in solidarity since I intend to take it up again. Just stay on the look out for the news story "Girl passes out from running 3.1 miles at altitude along the Truckee river in Tahoe city... is rescued by gorgeous fireman who happened to be mountain biking by after just receiving news of substantial inheritance from very wealthy previously unknown deceased Great Uncle. The soon to be married couple fell instantly in love after she awoke to him sitting at her bedside in the hospital. When asked where the couple will live he said "We will be sharing our time between the half dozen estates that my Great Uncle kept all over the world until we decide on a more permanent home, but I will continue to work on a volunteer basis where-ever they need me."

So good luck ladies, have fun! Drink the water when they have it and if they offer you chocolate at mile 12, it seems like a good idea but trust me...it's not.

*Image from Lululemon

2 comments:

  1. Love this one! Will be thinking of you this weekend when my knee and lungs are giving out, wishing you were there with me! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I love it! If that's the way the story ends, I would pass out at 3.1 miles too!

    ReplyDelete